Change your iPhone Text TonePosted on March 3, 2011
When it comes to organizations that do everything they can to prevent a consumer from fooling around with their properly earned products, Apple is up there. Maybe behind Sony. As to why Apple thinks adding a different text notification sound is far beyond the want of the average consumer, I don’t know.
I decided to change the text tone anyway. The least intrusive way to do it is to replace an existing file instead of adding one.
- Jailbreak phone
- Install Cydia on phone
- Install OpenSSH on phone through Cydia
- Connect phone through wifi on local net. Find IP (through router DHCP table on settings on phone)
- Use an ssh+sftp client on computer and logon to the phone. User: root, Pass: alpine.
- The text tones, corresponding to how their listed on the sound selection screen are “sms-recieved1.caf” numbered 1 – 6. These are AIFF files.
- Get a audio clip to use as your new text tone. Make it a reasonable length in time.
- Convert to AIFF. I used WavePad. Its a full service trial for 15 days or so.
- Copy the file you want replaced (Electronic, “sms-recieved6.caf” for instance) to computer.
- Rename new file to the one you just took off iPhone.
- Place new file in same directory as the old one.
- Hard respring or reboot.